[R] Help in getting info from a DataFrame

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Wed Feb 2 12:09:39 CET 2011

Hi

r-help-bounces at r-project.org napsal dne 02.02.2011 11:14:18:

> Hi
>
> r-help-bounces at r-project.org napsal dne 31.01.2011 15:51:16:
>

> <snip>
>

> > Hi
> >
> > thanks. I am not sure if I have understood 100% but at least I know
now
> that
> > there's a diference.
> >
> > About this:
> >
> > lapsales
> >      Store      Prod qtd
> >  5  Aveiro Lapiseira   3
> >  8 Coimbra Lapiseira   1
> >  9 Setubal Lapiseira   1
> >  > lapsales[max(lapsales$qtd),"Store"]
> >  [1] Setubal
> >  Levels: Aveiro Coimbra Evora lx Setubal
> >
> >  why Setubal and not Aveiro?
> >

> > Can you explain me the result?

Sorry I did not look to your code and used the code I sent you as a
solution

What do you expect max(lapsales$qtg) give you as a result?
If you changed the number qtd to 4 instead of 3 you will get

> lapsales[max(lapsales$qtd),"Store"]
[1] <NA>
Levels: Aveiro Coimbra Evora lx Setubal

So R give you what you ask for. You asked for third line and you got it.

If you asked for which position is the maximum number

lapsales[which.max(lapsales$qtd),"Store"]
[1] Aveiro
Levels: Aveiro Coimbra Evora lx Setubal

You will get desired result.

Regards
Petr

> Probably qtd is not what you think it is. I get
>
> > dados<- data.frame(Store = c

("Setubal","lx","Aveiro","Coimbra","Aveiro","Evora","Aveiro","Coimbra","Setubal"),Prod=c

("BlocoDesenho","BlocoDesenho","Tinteiro","Régua","Lapiseira","Regua","Tinteiro","Lapiseira","Lapiseira"),qtd=c