[R] Error of 'memory not mapped' in ff Package with VirtualBox

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 2 13:34:27 CET 2011

This is clearly a problem occuring in the C code of the ff package.
Please report to the package maintainer, Cced here (with the 'at a
minimum' information requested in the posting guide, most importantly
the Linux architecture and the versions involved).

FWIW it works for me on

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.12.1 (2010-12-16)
Platform: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu (64-bit)
other attached packages:
[1] ff_2.2-1  bit_1.1-6

If possible, try running this under valgrind (see 'Writing R
Extensions') to get more info on the cause: at least run under gdb to
get more precise info on what was not mapped.

You don't say what the host OS of VirtualBox was.  We've found I/O
under VirtualBox with a x86_64 Linux host to be slow, but R to run
reliably.