[R] unequally spaced factor levels orthogonal polynomial contrasts coefficients trend analysis

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Wed Feb 2 23:46:31 CET 2011

If you know the spacing between the factor levels, then why not just treat it as a numeric vector and use the poly function to create orthogonal polynomials of the numeric variable.

If you have an unequally spaced ordered factor that does not lend itself to the above, then I don't see that any type of polynomial contrasts makes sense and would use something else that does (comparing neighboring pairs maybe).

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org