[R] boostrap an nls regression

m234 mhairialexander at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 13:27:42 CET 2011

Hello there

I have the following model based on the hollings disc equation for the type
II functional response for 2 data sets:

nls(eaten~(a*suppl)/(1+a*h*suppl)

where eaten is the number of prey eaten by a predator and suppl is the
number of prey initially supplied to the same predator.

I have parameter estimates of 'a' and 'h' for the two populations studied
and would like to know if there is a significant different in the estimates
between the two i.e. a1 vs a2, h1 vs h2. I would like to bootstap the data
to get multiple (~1000) estimates and compare then via a ttest or
equivalent. Is it possible to do this and obtain multiple estimations which
I can go on to test?

Im pretty new to R and struggling to get codes to work. Any advice or to be
pointed in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers :)