[R] Finding non-normal distributions per row of data frame?

DB1984 dannybolg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 20:00:25 CET 2011

Hi Greg,

In addition to the reply above, to address your questions - I fully
appreciate that my understanding of the code is basic - this is my first
attempt at putting this together...

My starting point is a data frame with numeric and text columns, but I can
cut columns to make a fully numeric matrix if that is easier to handle.

"apply(y, 1, shapiro.test)" works for a second dataframe, yes. I guess that
I chose a bad example dataset for 'nt'!

The overall aim is to test the normality of the distribution of the values
in each row. I would then subset out the non-normal distributions to
interrogate further. The shapiro.test seems a simple first pass at this. I'd
like to move on to plotting residuals of a QQplot next, to see if that is
more or less sensitive at detecting non-normal distributions in the dataset.

If you would recommend an alternative approach, I'd appreciate the input,
thanks..