[R] rbinom and probability

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Feb 5 00:57:27 CET 2011

On Feb 4, 2011, at 4:24 PM, Mcmahon, Kwyatt wrote:

> Hello compadRes,
>
> I'm developing a script that selects "cells" over a certain
> metabolic rate to kill them.  A rate between 9 and 12 means that the
> cells are candidates for death.
>
> I'll show you what I mean:
>
> # a would be a vector of cell metabolic rates.
> a<-c(8, 7, 9, 6, 10, 11, 4, 5, 6)
>
> #now identify which cells will be candidates for death, namely those
> cells with metabolic rates>9
> b<-a[a>6]
> #This would select all cells with rates >6
> rbinom(length(b), size=1, prob=1)

No, you have an overly complex way of generating a vector of all 1's
with length(b). And it's not clear what you mean by "select". I see no
caode that would do any selection or indexing.

> #This will select cells using a an exponential probability
> distribution
> rbinom(length(b), size=1, prob=(seq(0, 1, by=0.1)^2))

Again no selection appears to be taking place.

> I have two questions:
>
> 1)      Am I correct in my interpretations?
>
> 2)      I'd actually like to have this probability scaled so that
> cells with rates of 9 are unlikely to be selected and those near 12
> are highly likely.  How can I code this?

a[ sample(1:length(a), prob=0.1+(a>9) ,replace=TRUE) ]
[1] 10 10 11 10 10 11 10 11 10
 > a[sample(1:length(a), prob=0.1+(a>9) ,replace=TRUE) ]
[1] 10 10 11 11 11 11  5 10 10

The "rates" over 9 are 11 times  (= 1.1/0.1) as likely to be selected.
You can adjust the ratio by altering the 0.1 value."+" with the first
argument numeric act to coerce the logical vector to 1's and 0's.

--
David.