[R] aggregate function - na.action

Hadley Wickham hadley at rice.edu
Mon Feb 7 18:00:59 CET 2011

> Does FAQ 1.8 answer that ok ?
>   "Ok, I'm starting to see what data.table is about, but why didn't you
> enhance data.frame in R? Why does it have to be a new package?"
>   http://datatable.r-forge.r-project.org/datatable-faq.pdf

Kind of.  I think there are two sets of features data.table provides:

 * a compact syntax for expressing many common data manipulations
 * high performance data manipulation

FAQ 1.8 answers the question for the syntax, but not for the
performance related features.

Basically, I'd love to be able to use the high performance components
of data table in plyr, but keep using my existing syntax.  Currently
the only way to do that is for me to dig into your C code to
understand why it's fast, and then implement those ideas in plyr.

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/