[R] Plotting Chinese characters

apepe apepe at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Feb 8 21:33:22 CET 2011

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> Well, no, it doesn't (it plots on the screen device).  So exactly how
> are you producing the plot?

I am trying to produce a visualization of the character network, like this:
> plot(g, layout=layout.fruchterman.reingold, vertex.color="black",
> vertex.size=2.0, edge.color="gray70", vertex.label=V(g)$name,
> edge.arrow.size=0.3)

where g is a an igraph network:
Vertices: 199
Edges: 123
Directed: TRUE
Edges:

[0]   '精' -> '神'
[1]   '市' -> '场'
[2]   '思' -> '想'

but the names of the nodes, as explained before, display correctly within R
but not in the plot.

> Note too that we really do need the 'at a minimum' information we
> asked for in the posting guide, including your locale.
>

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.12.0 (2010-10-15)
Platform: i386-apple-darwin9.8.0/i386 (32-bit)

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] grid      tools     stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets
methods   base

other attached packages:
[1] igraph_0.5.5-1