[R] SEM: question regarding how standard errors are calculated

Ned Dochtermann ned.dochtermann at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 02:04:27 CET 2011

Dr. Fox,
Thank you for the reply. The discrepancy between lm and the sem package as
well as AMOS makes sense given how the se's are calculated for linear
models. This is a small dataset with non-normal data (part of the reason for
my last comment) which might contribute to the relatively large discrepancy
if the Hessian is being estimated differently. Unfortunately I can't
immediately find how AMOS does this. I might try simulating some data and
running some analyses in both AMOS and using the sem library to see how each
behaves at different sample sizes.

Thanks,
Ned