[R] Extracting content from web

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 9 13:50:23 CET 2011

[ hotmail not marking orig text, top post for clarity]

This is one of my current jihads, along with removing
adjectives where numbers are available, and I'm curious
if there is a FAQ on this somewhere? Scraping data from
web pages is always a hack, any approach should
include an attempt to fix the problem by contacting the
data source and suggest a better way to make data available.
Since this problem comes up in many contexts, I tend to
stick with linux tools but the R approach is quite similar
often just turning "curl" into "Rcurl" for example.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=R+scraping+web+page