[R] Adding labels into lattice's barchart

Luca Meyer lucam1968 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 18:34:09 CET 2011

*** APOLOGIZES FOR THOSE READING THE LIST THROUGH NABBLE THIS WAS ALREADY POSTED THERE BUT NOT FORWARDED TO THE LIST FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON ***

I have a dataset that looks like:

$ V1: factor with 4 levels
$ V2: factor with 4 levels
$ V3: factor with 2 levels
$ V4: num (summing up to 100 within V3 levels)
$ V5: num (nr of cases for each unique combination of V1*V2*V3 levels)

Quite new to lattice - I've started reading Deepayan's book a few days ago - I have written the following:

barchart(V2 ~ V4 | V1,
         data=d1,
         groups=V3,
         stack=TRUE,
         auto.key= list(space="top"),
         layout = c(1,4),
         xlab=" "
         )

which works just fine as a stacked bar chart with bars adding up to 100%. Now what I would like to see is the number of cases showing next to the 4 x-axis's labels - i.e. V2_L1, ... V2_L4.

In other words now I see something like:

*** V1_L1 ***
V2_L4 AAAVVVVVVV
V2_L3 AAVVVVVVVV
V2_L2 AAAAAVVVVV
V2_L1 AAVVVVVVVV
*** V1_L2 ***
V2_L4 AAAAAAVVVV
V2_L3 AVVVVVVVVV
etc...

But what I am looking for is something like:
*** V1_L1 ***
V2_L4 (n=60) AAAVVVVVVV
V2_L3 (n=10) AAVVVVVVVV
V2_L2 (n=52) AAAAAVVVVV
V2_L1 (n=15) AAVVVVVVVV
*** V1_L2 ***
V2_L4 (n=18) AAAAAAVVVV
V2_L3 (n=74) AVVVVVVVVV
etc...

How can I do that? I have tried:

V6 <- paste(V2," (n",V5,")")

but what i get when I run

barchart(V6 ~ V4 | V1,
         data=d1,
         groups=V3,
         stack=TRUE,
         auto.key= list(space="top"),
         layout = c(1,4),
         xlab=" "
         )

is a bunch of empty bars due to the fact that the unique combinations have risen.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Luca

Mr. Luca Meyer