[R] Removing Outliers Function

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Feb 9 20:18:25 CET 2011

On Feb 9, 2011, at 1:25 PM, kirtau wrote:

> I have two questions,
>
> 1) if the solutions is only three or four lines of code is there
> anyway you
> can share those lines instead of stating that the solution is easy and
> providing no code. I prefer not to use an R-Package but have a "raw
> function".
>
> 2) Can you explain why you feel that this is "statistical malpractice"

You are proposing to systematically distort your data (apparently
without even examining it)  before conducting an inferential process.
The old FLA GIGO is operative here. The data arose from some process
in nature and the outliers are just as important as the inliers. If
you want methods that are robust to "outliers" you should look at the
Robust Statistics Task View:
http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Robust.html

--
David Winsemius, MD