[R] help - "the condition has length > 1 and only the first element will be used"

Jonathan P Daily jdaily at usgs.gov
Thu Feb 10 16:39:06 CET 2011

The issue here is that if only accepts a single True/False argument. Try
these functions:
?ifelse
?all
?any
--------------------------------------
Jonathan P. Daily
Technician - USGS Leetown Science Center
11649 Leetown Road
Kearneysville WV, 25430
(304) 724-4480
"Is the room still a room when its empty? Does the room,
 the thing itself have purpose? Or do we, what's the word... imbue it."
     - Jubal Early, Firefly

r-help-bounces at r-project.org wrote on 02/10/2011 09:07:40 AM:

> [...]
>
>                              if (x>0.25 & x<=0.5)   y <-2-4*x
>
>                              if (x>0.5)                   y <-0

>                              }
>

>       And then I generated a sequence of numbers from 0 to 1 using
> the following code:
>

>       x <-seq(0,1,0.05)
>

>       What I intended to do was to create 3 columns like below. In
> the first column you can find all the x values I created just before
> using the seq procedure and in the next 2 columns you can see all
> the calculated values of functions Equation1 and Equation2 respectively.
>

>       x      Egyenlet1  Egyenlet2
>
>       0.00      1.00    0.00
>
>       0.05      0.80    0.20
>
>       0.10      0.60    0.40
>
>       0.15      0.40    0.60
>
>       0.20      0.20    0.80
>
>       0.25      0.00    1.00
>
>       0.30      0.00    0.80
>
>       0.35      0.00    0.60
>
>       0.40      0.00    0.40
>
>       0.45      0.00    0.20
>
>       0.50      0.00    0.00
>
>       0.55      0.00    0.00
>
>       0.60      0.00    0.00
>
>       0.65      0.00    0.00
>
>       0.70      0.00    0.00
>
>       0.75      0.00    0.00
>
>       0.80      0.00    0.00
>
>       0.85      0.00    0.00
>
>       0.90      0.00    0.00
>
>       0.95      0.00    0.00
>
>       1.00      0.00    0.00
>

>       Unfortunately I didn't know how to create these columns.
> Whenever I tried to send the following codes into R:
>
>       "Equation1(x)" or "Equation1(x)" (remember x representing the
> values from 0 to 1)
>
>       ...I instantaneously got a warning message saying:
>

>        [1]  1.0  0.8  0.6  0.4  0.2  0.0 -0.2 -0.4 -0.6 -0.8 -1.0
> -1.2 -1.4 -1.6 -1.8 -2.0 -2.2 -2.4 -2.6 -2.8 -3.0
>
>       Warning messages:
>
>       1: In if (x <= 0.25) y <- 1 - 4 * x :
>
>         the condition has length > 1 and only the first element will be
used

>       2: In if (x > 0.25) y <- 0 :
>
>         the condition has length > 1 and only the first element will be
used

>       Could somebody please help me with this? I would greatly
> appreciate if somebody would reply.
>
>       Thank you very much and have a pleasant day!
>

>       Best regards,
>
>       Laszlo

> Ez az e-mail és az összes hozzá tartozó csatolt melléklet
> titkos és/vagy jogilag, szakmailag vagy más módon védett
> információt tartalmazhat. Amennyiben nem �n a levél címzettje
> akkor a levél tartalmának közlése, reprodukálása, másolása,
> vagy egyéb más úton történÅ? terjesztése, felhasználása
> szigorúan tilos. Amennyiben tévedésbÅ?l kapta meg ezt az
> üzenetet kérjük azonnal értesítse az üzenet küldÅ?jét. Az
> Erste Bank Hungary Zrt. (EBH) nem vállal felelÅ?sséget az
> információ teljes és pontos - címzett(ek)hez történÅ? -
> eljuttatásáért, valamint semmilyen késésért, kapcsolat
> megszakadásból eredÅ? hibáért, vagy az információ
> felhasználásából vagy annak megbízhatatlanságából eredÅ?
kárért.

> Az üzenetek EBH-n kívüli küldÅ?je vagy címzettje tudomásul
> veszi és hozzájárul, hogy az üzenetekhez más banki alkalmazott
> is hozzáférhet az EBH folytonos munkamenetének biztosítása
érdekében.

> This e-mail and any attached files are confidential
and/...{{dropped:19}}