[R] Problem with xlsx package

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 17:30:33 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Nikhil Joshi <nikhiljoshi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Gabor,
> thanks for the suggestion.
> I did as you have suggested- Started a clean session of R and set the java
> option.  Then I sourced the library and tried to read the xlsx file but got
> the same error.  I am assuming that Java machine is loaded when the package
> xlsx is sourced and not when the base package is sourced (or in other words
> upon starting a new R session).  Or am I totally off?
> Regards
> Nikhil

The JVM would be initialized when xlsx is loaded or when certain
functions in the package are called depending on how the package was
written so as long as you set the java.parameters option prior to
issuing the library(xlsx) command you should be ok.  If that does not
work and assuming the number I suggested is big enough then it must be
something else.  You could try contacting the author to see if other
users have experienced this.

If you still can't get it to work there are a number of alternatives
listed here:
http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php?id=tips:data-io:ms_windows

--
Statistics & Software Consulting