[R] tzone and DST

Bill Harris bill_harris at facilitatedsystems.com
Fri Feb 11 03:44:08 CET 2011

Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us> writes:

> Use Sys.setenv(TZ="Etc/GMT+8") before you read the files.

Thanks, Jeff and all for the suggestions (assuming this works, as it
seems it should, I may go with this one).  I'll try them tomorrow.

After posting my query, I discovered a related problem which I have to
research more, but perhaps someone here knows what is standardly done.

As I said, I have one dataset that stays in standard time to avoid the
DST issue.  I have to merge() it with another that uses local time.  In
the spring, there are thus no datapoints from 1:59 until 3.  I'm not yet
sure what happens in the fall.

Is there a best practice for dealing with periodic (hourly,
quarter-hourly, etc.) data that spans the DST change such that graphs of
time series, etc., are easily understood?

Thanks,

Bill
--
Bill Harris                  http://makingsense.facilitatedsystems.com/
Facilitated Systems                              Everett, WA 98208 USA