[R] Ordinal logistic regression (lrm)- checking model assumptions

Anna Berthinussen bs06ab at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Feb 11 14:00:19 CET 2011

Dear all,

I have been using the lrm function in R to run an ordinal logistic
regression and I am a bit confused about the methods for checking the
model assumptions.

I have produced residual plots in R of the score.binary type which I
think look ok. However, the partial type plots show bell shaped
patterns and have crossing lines, indicating violation of parallelism.
However, I noticed on the help page that for ordinal models,
simulations where proportional odds are satisfied have also produced
similar patterns.

I have also run the regression in SPSS and found that the test of
parallel lines shows that the assumption of parallelism has not been
violated. However, I have read that this is not a reliable method.

I am finding it very confusing to determine if my model meets the
necessary assumptions. Does anybody know the best way to do this?

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Thank you,

Anna