[R] Revolution Analytics reading SAS datasets

Abhijit Dasgupta, PhD aikidasgupta at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 15:52:29 CET 2011

I'm sure the legal ground is tricky. However, OpenOffice and LibreOffice
and KWord have been able to open the (proprietary) MS Word doc format
for a while now, and they are open source (and Libre Office might even
be GPL'd), so the algorithm is in fact "published" in Jeremy's sense,
and has been for several years. I figure the reason for keeping the SAS
reading functionality proprietary is Revolution's (perfectly legitimate)
wish to make money by separating their product from GNU R and adding
features that would make people want to buy rather than just download
from CRAN.

Within GNU R there are of course sas.get in the Hmisc package (which
requires SAS). It should also be quite easy to write a wrapper around
dsread, a command-line closed source product freely downloadable in a
limited form which will convert sas7bdat files to csv or tsv format (and
SQL if you pay). This latter path won't require SAS locally.

I'm also sure that SAS has a way to export its datasets into R, since
the current version of IML Studio will in fact interact with R.