[R] Calling symbols from dataframe for xyplot

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Fri Feb 11 19:37:56 CET 2011

The more common way to do this is to use groups, the default is to have a different color for each group, but you can change that using trellis.par.set:

tmp <- trellis.par.get()
tmp$superpose.symbol$pch = 0:10
trellis.par.set(tmp)
xyplot(Sepal.Width ~ Petal.Width, data=iris, groups=Species, auto.key=TRUE)

If you need more control of the symbols than that, then look at the panel.my.symbols function in the TeachingDemos package.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org