[R] Writing R packages in an easier way?

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Sat Feb 12 01:27:35 CET 2011

I guess Emacs + ESS + roxygen might be the easiest way to write an R
package. Writing or modifying Rd files/templates, in my eyes, is
really time-consuming and the Rd files are difficult to maintain
(unless you really have a good memory). I became reluctant to maintain
my R packages simply because I felt painful to maintain the
documentation. After I learned a bit about roxygen and ESS a few
months ago, several of my packages came back to life again (e.g. this
picture is a piece of evidence:
https://github.com/yihui/animation/graphs/impact). The feeling was
probably like when Dr Harrell switched from SAS to S (see
library(fortunes); fortune('I quit using SAS')).

Anyway, prompt() and package.skeleton() are very helpful in the short run.

Regards,
Yihui
--
Yihui Xie <xieyihui at gmail.com>