[R] Regarding {KernSmooth} - Can a package on CRAN have non GPL copyrights?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Feb 13 08:37:56 CET 2011

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011, Joshua Wiley wrote:

> AFAIK CRAN does not explicitly require use of a GPL license (though
> obviously the license needs to allow at least free access to the
> packages and source).

GPL and the other licences are about distribution.  CRAN requires a
licence to allow it to distribute packages -- in some cases (e.g.
mclust) that requires a CRAN exception.

Copyright is an almost entirely orthogonal issue.  In many countries
all intellectual creation is copyright -- this message is, R itself
is, my packages are (including my contributions to KernSmooth) -- and
that does not need to stated.  Matt Wand has chosen to assert his
copyright in the startup message.  A closely related concept you will
see in British books is that 'X has asserted his moral right to be
identified as the author of this work'.

With the freedoms that Open Source licences give goes a moral
responsibility to give due credit, something we see **far** too little
of here.