[R] When is *interactive* data visualization useful to use?

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 10:43:02 CET 2011

On 02/11/2011 08:21 PM, Claudia Beleites wrote:
> Dear Tal, dear list,
>
> I think the importance of interactive graphics has a lot do with how
> visual your scientific discipline works. I'm spectroscopist, and I think
> we are very visually oriented: if I think of a spectrum I mentally see a
> graph.
>
> So for that kind of work, I need a lot of interaction (type: plot,
> change a bit, plot again), e.g.
> One example is the removal of spikes from Raman spectra (caused e.g. by
> cosmic rays hitting the detector). It is fairly easy to compute a list
> of suspicious signals. It is already much more complicated to find the
> actual beginning and end of the spike. And it is really difficult not to
> have false positives by some automatic procedure, because the spectra
> can look very different for different samples. It would just take me far
> longer to find a computational description of what is a spike than
> interactively accepting/rejecting the automatically marked suspicions.
> Even though it feels like slave work ;-)
>
> Roughly the same applies for the choice of pre-processing like baseline
> correction. A number of different physical causes can produce different
> kinds of baselines, and usually you don't know which process contributes
> to what extent. In practice, experience suggests a method, I apply it
> and look whether the result looks as expected. I'm not aware of any
> performance measure that would indicate success here.
>
> The next point where interaction is needed pops up as my data has e.g.
> spatial and spectral dimensions. So do the models usually: e.g. in a
> PCA, the loadings would usually capture the spectroscopic direction,
> whereas the scores belong to the spatial domain. So I have "connected"
> graphs: the spatial distribution (intensity map, score map, etc.), and
> the spectra (or loadings).
> As soon as I have such connections I wish for interactive visualization:
> I go back and forth between the plots: what is the spectrum that belongs
> to this region of the map? Where on the sample are high intensities of
> this band? What is the substance behind that: if it is x, the
> intensities at that other spectral band should correlate. And then I
> want to compare this to the scatterplot (pairs plot of the PCA score) or
> to a dendrogram of HCA...
>
> Also, exploration is not just prerequisite for models, but it frequently
> is already the very proper scientific work (particularly in basic
> science). The more so, if you include exploring the models: Now, which
> of the bands are actually used by my predictive models? Which samples do
> get their predictions because of which spectral feature?
> And, the "statistical outliers" may very well be just the interesting
> part of the sample. And the outlier statistics cannot interprete the
> data in terms of interesting ./. crap.
>
> For presentation* of results, I personally think that most of the time a
> careful selection of static graphs is much better than live interaction.
> [...]

These are very interesting and valid points. But which tools are
recommended / usefull for interactive graphs for data evaluation? I
somehow have difficulties getting my head around ggobi, and haven't yet
tried out mondian (but I will). Are there any other ones (as we are ion
the R list - which integrate with R) which can be recommended?

Rainer

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Natural Sciences Building