[R] distance between consecutive points

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Feb 16 04:05:45 CET 2011

On Feb 15, 2011, at 8:22 PM, Peter Alspach wrote:

> Tena koe D'Arcy
>
> You might find dist() more suited to your needs.
>
> HTH ....
>
> Peter Alspach

Or try:

for (i in 1:(length(x)-1) ) d<-sqrt((x[i+1]-x[i])^2+(y[i+1]-y[i])^2)
[1] 0.01

However if you try to generalize this you should to something that
will allow successive values do not get overwritten. Rather than using
d try setting d <- vector("numeric", length(x)-1), the assing to d[i]:

for (i in 1:(length(x)-1) ) d[i]<-sqrt((x[i+1]-x[i])^2+(y[i+1]-y[i])^2)

--
David.