[R] summary in functions

Simon Blomberg s.blomberg1 at uq.edu.au
Thu Feb 17 06:32:42 CET 2011

On 17/02/11 09:44, Sam Steingold wrote:
> summary() in functions seems to print nothing.
> str() does print something.
> why?

summary() returns the summary information as its value. If you want to
see this value from inside a function, use print(summary()). The reason
you see the summary information at the top level is because R implicitly
assumes that you want to print() the summary() output. This is the same
for any object. Typing obj at the prompt is really the same as doing
print(obj). In contrast, str() does not return a value, and you see the
output printed because it is a side-effect of calling the function.
(This behaviour irks me as it is not good functional programming style,
although ?str says that it does not return a value for "efficiency
reasons").

Cheers,

Simon.

--
Simon Blomberg, BSc (Hons), PhD, MAppStat, AStat
Lecturer and Consultant Statistician

Policies:
1.  I will NOT analyse your data for you.
2.  Your deadline is your problem

Statistics is the grammar of science - Karl Pearson.