[R] A very basic line-plot question

Phil Spector spector at stat.berkeley.edu
Thu Feb 17 21:44:59 CET 2011

The reason that it's easy to produce dotcharts or barplots in R with
data like yours, and difficult to produce a line plot, is because
dotcharts and barplots are appropriate for your data, whereas a line
plot is not.  Since the values on the x-axis represent names,
and those names are not measured on any kind of ordinal scale,
connecting the points on a plot would be at best meaningless and at
worst deceptive.

Of course, one of R's charms is that it provides ample rope to hang
yourself it that's what you really want to do.  You could create a
line plot with a custom axis labeled in what ever way you want, to
produce a whatever sort of plot you wanted.  I'll leave it to you to
figure out the details.
 					- Phil Spector
 					 Statistical Computing Facility
 					 Department of Statistics