[R] RGtk2 on Debian Testing

Lorenzo Isella lorenzo.isella at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 23:01:06 CET 2011

Dear All,
I am running Debian testing on my system for the amd64 architecture,
When trying to install the RGtk package I get this error

 > install.packages('RGtk2')
Installing package(s) into ‘/usr/local/lib/R/site-library’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
trying URL
'http://rm.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/CRAN/src/contrib/RGtk2_2.20.8.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 2637806 bytes (2.5 Mb)
opened URL
downloaded 2.5 Mb

* installing *source* package ‘RGtk2’ ...
checking for INTROSPECTION... no
checking for GTK... no
configure: error: GTK version 2.8.0 required
ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘RGtk2’
* removing ‘/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/RGtk2’

The downloaded packages are in
	‘/tmp/RtmpMTHLGF/downloaded_packages’
Warning message:
In install.packages("RGtk2") :
   installation of package 'RGtk2' had non-zero exit status

Does anyone know why there is a mismatch between my GTK and the one
required by R?
Should I enable some particular R repositories (I know that the previous
Debian testing was released a few days ago, but I do not know if this is
relevant).
Any suggestion is welcome.
Cheers

Lorenzo