[R] error in optim, within polr(): "initial value in 'vmmin' is not finite"

Ben Haller rhelp at sticksoftware.com
Fri Feb 18 11:20:48 CET 2011

  An update for the benefit of the list/posterity: I resolved this issue by switching over to using the lrm() function of package rms.  It seems to pick better starts, or something; in any case, it has been able to converge on a solution for every model I've tried, although for the most complex ones I needed to raise maxit (maximum iterations) above the default of 12 slightly.  The lrm() function does not support interactions higher than third-order, and it does only logistic regressions, not probit or other types, so it does have its drawbacks; but it has solved my difficulties quite nicely.  Just in case anybody cares.  :->

Ben Haller
McGill University