[R] Seeking help in Package development

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 21 02:38:19 CET 2011

> Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 15:56:41 +0100
> From: ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
> To: jwiley.psych at gmail.com
> CC: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: Re: [R] Seeking help in Package development
>
> May I add that the best documentation for building packages is the
> "Writing R Extensions" that ships with the current R version. It is
> always current, precise, and not as outdated as many resources you find
> "somewhere" in the web - yes, the one cited below is outdated.
>
> Uwe Ligges
>

> On 19.02.2011 22:59, Joshua Wiley wrote:
> > Dear Nipesh,
> >
> > On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Nipesh Bajaj wrote:
> >> Dear all, I am a new user of R and currently trying hard to develop my
> >> own package. Here I am following this tutorial
> >> 'http://www.mathfinance.cn/how-to-create-an-R-package-in-windows/'
> >>
> >> Here it says that (step 8): "open a “command prompt” window, change
> >> the directory to where your package is, type the command “R CMD build
> >> MonteCarloPi” to build the package, this will generate a file called
> >> MonteCarloPi_1.0.tar.gz. "

> >> black screen window) and then changed the directory, where my new
> >> package (a folder in current working directory in R, as created by
> >> 'package.skeleton') is there. Then typed 'R CMD build MyPackage' (I
> >> named my package as 'MyPackage'). However doing so I got following
> >> error in that command prompt:
> >>
> >> 'R' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
> >> program or batch file.
> >
> > This suggests that either your current directory does not contain R
> > and you have not added the directory containing R to the PATH

> > needs to know where to find the program to execute. You might find

> > prompt (geared towards XP, but cmd.exe has changed little from XP to
> > Vista, to 7---though increasing MS is encouraging users to switch over

> > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds.mspx?mfr=true
> >

> >> Can somebody please guide me what to do in this situation?

I guess if you are shopping for alternative shells, consider cygwin and
then you get all the power of years of other developer's work. I am
not sure what MSFT is doing with a "powershell" but very good open tools
already exist for linux that cygwin allows you to use here.
I have had a few issues with latest cygwin on Doh's 7 but probably
due to install problems. I routinely use R with cygwin and have never
used a GUI wth R  except for a popup on debian version.

You will even find, if you learn the linux tools, that R makes a lot
more sense. I just started to play with package building, didn't complete
one yet, and everything pretty much made sense right away on debian.