[R] NPMC - replacement has 0 rows (multiple comparisons)

Peter Ehlers ehlers at ucalgary.ca
Mon Feb 21 14:36:57 CET 2011

On 2011-02-20 20:02, Karmatose wrote:

> Hi folks, sorry if this has been answered before, I searched long and hard
> before deciding to make a thread.
>
> I'm trying to include multiple variables in a non-parametric analysis
> (hah!). So far what I've managed to figure out is that the NPMC package from
> CRAN MIGHT be able to do what I need, but I can't get it to.
>
> First I created a dataset as NPMC calls for.
>
>> Ind=Individual    |<- predictor
>> D=Day              |<- predictor
>> S=Sex               |<- predictor
>> hand = handlingtotal       |<- response
>> occy.df<-data.frame(hand,Ind,D,S)
>
> Then I checked the classes of each variable (factor, integer, factor,
> numeric from top to bottom).
>
> Ok, go!
>> npmc(occy.ds)
>
> But alas, I get this error:
> Error in `$<-.data.frame`(`*tmp*`, "class", value = integer(0)) :
>    replacement has 0 rows, data has 48

How is npmc() to know what is your response and what is your
classification variable? The help page indicates that you must
use the name 'var' for the response and 'class' for the
predictor and, yes, only one predictor seems to be handled.
You might be able to combine your predictors meaningfully
into a single classification variable.

While the help page cites a reference article, they
unhelpfully neglect to provide journal information.
Googling suggests that it is Biometrical Journal 43:553-569 (2001).

Peter Ehlers