[R] naming vectors

Ivan Calandra ivan.calandra at uni-hamburg.de
Mon Feb 21 15:58:36 CET 2011

It is indeed an interesting behavior and I have no idea what you could
do except what you did, though I would use:
names(x) <- rep("A", length(x))

But I don't really understand why you want to give the same name to all
elements? There might be another way around depending on your goal

Ivan

Le 2/21/2011 15:44, Francois Rousseu a écrit :
> Hello R users
>
> I was trying to find a less annoying way of naming vectors than:
>
> x<-1:10
> names(x)[1:length(x)]<-"A"
>
> So I tried:
>
> x<-1:10
> names(x)<-"A"     #but this gave only the first element named (as described in the help files)
>
> and
>
> x<-1:10
> names(x)[]<-"A"   #but this gave all elements named NA
>
> The curious thing with this last option is that if the same line is ran a second time, now the vector gets the name "A" for all elements, which is what is desired
>
> names(x)[]<-"A"
>
> I'm guessing the first time the names attribute is created and the second time values are given to this attribute. But shouldn't we expect the elements to be all named on the first try with the given value?
>
> Cheers
> Francois
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Ivan CALANDRA
PhD Student
University of Hamburg
Biozentrum Grindel und Zoologisches Museum
Abt. Säugetiere
Martin-Luther-King-Platz 3
D-20146 Hamburg, GERMANY
+49(0)40 42838 6231