[R] problem installing R in Ubuntu 10.04 -HELP

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 22 14:33:21 CET 2011

> Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 11:12:26 +0100
> From: r.m.krug at gmail.com
> To: Graham.Williams at togaware.com
> CC: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: Re: [R] problem installing R in Ubuntu 10.04 -HELP

> On 02/22/2011 10:49 AM, Graham Williams wrote:
> > I have seen this issue reported by others though I don't know what the
> > root cause is. Others have solved it by removing the .Rdata file
> > causing the problem (there must be one if it says so). It would
> > usually, I think, be in the folder where you start R.
>
> Does R start with
>
> R --vanilla
>
> If yes, check for .RData, and the other files loaded when starting R
>
> ?.First
>
> shoud give you an idea which files they are and where they are stored.
>
> Also:
>
> try
>
> locate Rdata
>
> to locate all Rdata files.

Presumably this is best as it looks where "R" looks but I'm curious
why the OP couldn't locate all of them with "find -name "*rData*" ?
When stuff like this happens on linux there are usually tools available
to fix it without relying on the things you are trying to fix working at all.
Often on 'dohs if the uninstall icon is missing you are stuck LOL.

> Cheers,
>
> Rainer
>

> > Regards,
> > Graham
> >

> > On 20 February 2011 13:19, fdp  wrote:

having
> >> a very hard time trying to recover from what I initially thought was a minor
> >> problem. I was trying to install "rattle()" and it failed, and after that I
> >> cannot get R to run AT ALL! I've tried multiple times to reinstall it with a
> >> clean apt-get removal and install and nothing... I keep get the following
> >> message:
> >>
> >> *Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called 'rattle'
> >> Fatal error: unable to restore saved data in .RData
> >> *
> >> I've tried to remove all ".RData" files, but couldn't find many... I even
> >> remove all R files/directories/config-files and still nothing worked.

[[elided Hotmail spam]]