[R] mgcv: beta coefficient and 95%CI

Simon Wood s.wood at bath.ac.uk
Wed Feb 23 18:08:07 CET 2011

Isn't the point here that they used smooths for the other terms but a linear
effect (or several) for (lagged) visibility. So you do have a beta in this
case, and the gam summary would tell you what it is estimated to be and what
the associated standard error is. The 'coef' and 'vcov' functions also allow
you to extract this information from the fitted model summary.

The model you have posted is different however, in that you have replaced the
linear term with a smooth, so there is no single beta and the interpretation
is therefor different.