[R] Using R to calculate ICC by two-way mixed model with absolute agreement

timan timanwang at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 17:34:09 CET 2011

I am helping someone calculate ICC using R. I know R has several packages
like irr, psy etc which provide options to calculate ICC (intraclass
correlation coefficient). When getting ICC, we need to use the model:
two-way mixed model with absolute agreement.

I only found that in irr package, it provides the option of choosing one or
two way and consistence or absolute agreement model.  However, there is no
parameter which allows me to choose if I want random or mixed model.  (see
the instruction of icc below). I am asking if anyone knows how I can use the
mixed model or if there is any other package to handle icc nicer?  Thanks a
lot in advance!

icc(ratings, model = c("oneway", "twoway"),
    type = c("consistency", "agreement"),
    unit = c("single", "average"), r0 = 0, conf.level = 0.95)