[R] BFGS versus L-BFGS-B

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Sat Feb 26 00:35:31 CET 2011

I have worked on a 2D image reconstruction problem in PET (positron emission
tomography) using a Poisson model.  Here, each pixel intensity is an unknown
parameter.  I have solved problems of size 128 x 128 using an accelerated EM
algorithm.  Ken Lange has shown that you can achieve term by term separation
using a minorization inequality, and hence the problem simplifies greatly.

Ravi.

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,
Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology School of Medicine Johns
Hopkins University

Ph. (410) 502-2619
email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu