[R] R in different OS

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Feb 26 12:32:21 CET 2011

It is less clear what you are after, but the canonical way to decide
if your R session is on Windows is

.Platform$OS.type == "windows"

Unlike {R.}version$os and Sys.info()["sysname"], the set of values
here is known and documented.  As ?R.version does say:

      Do _not_ use ‘R.version$os’ to test the platform the code is
      running on: use ‘.Platform$OS.type’ instead.  Slightly different
      versions of the OS may report different values of ‘R.version$os’,
      as may different versions of R.