[R] Error

mathijsdevaan mathijsdevaan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 14:26:48 CET 2011

Mean doesn't work either... I understand that the message "replacement has 0
items, need 37597770" implies that the function is not returning any values,
but I don't understand why then this is not the case in the example.

DF = data.frame(read.table(textConnection("    A  B  C  D  E
1 1  a  1999  1  0
2 1  b  1999  0  1
3 1  c  1999  0  1
4 1  d  1999  1  0
5 2  c  2001  1  0
6 2  d  2001  0  1
7 3  a  2004  0  1
8 3  b  2004  0  1
9 3  d  2004  0  1
10 4  b  2001  1  0
11 4  c  2001  1  0
12 4  d  2001  0  1"),head=TRUE,stringsAsFactors=FALSE))

DF = DF[order(DF$B,DF$C),]

#first option - works fine in example and my target data frame
DF$F = ave(DF$D,DF$B, FUN = function(x) cumsum(x)-x)
DF$G = ave(DF$E,DF$B, FUN = function(x) cumsum(x)-x)

#second option - works fine in example but not in my target data frame
foo <- function(x)
     {
     unlist(lapply(x, FUN = function(z) cumsum(z) - z))
     }
n<-ave(DF[,c(4:5)],DF$B,FUN = foo)

Why is this second option not working in my target data frame (which is much
bigger than the example)?
Thanks