[R] Sweave for "big" data analysis

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Sat Jan 1 17:56:39 CET 2011

AFAIK, these packages often extend a part of the Sweave driver, which
consists of several components, e.g. only modify the
'RweaveLatexRuncode' part in

> RweaveLatex
function ()
{
    list(setup = RweaveLatexSetup, runcode = RweaveLatexRuncode,
        writedoc = RweaveLatexWritedoc, finish = RweaveLatexFinish,
        checkopts = RweaveLatexOptions)
}
<environment: namespace:utils>

So they are based on Sweave instead of a re-implementation. However,
it is unpredictable whether they will be updated when Sweave gets
updated (depending on the package authors), because (IMHO) Sweave was
not designed to be readily extensible (it is, however, extensible to
some degree), i.e. if we want to replace or modify a very small part
of its functionality, we have to copy all the source code and do our
modification. A typical example is that currently it is difficult to
add an extra graphics device such as png() to Sweave without touching
the source code of Sweave.

We might rely on some tools to update our revisions automatically,
such as SVN (merge the changes), but I have no idea of the
difficulties. What I can see is the pgfSweave authors have been trying
to keep up with the updates of Sweave from R core.

Regards,
Yihui
--
Yihui Xie <xieyihui at gmail.com>