[R] exit and save data from the terminal where command is frozen

Brian Kidd bkidd at stanford.edu
Sat Jan 1 21:42:50 CET 2011

Hello,

Is there any way to stop an R execution in a terminal where the previous command appears to have caused the code to hang? I basically need to get back to the prompt.

Note that control-c doesn't restore the prompt and running top -o cpu from another terminal shows R at >99% CPU usage. While closing the terminal would work, I'd really like to save the data and the history file if I can. Is the temporary history list and/or variables from the current session located somewhere on my machine that I could get to and save before closing the terminal? Or is this a lost cause?

Thanks,
-Brian