[R] how to subset unique factor combinations from a data frame.

SNV Krishna krishna at primps.com.sg
Tue Jan 4 11:19:02 CET 2011

Hi,

Sorry that my example is not clear. I will give an example of what each
variable holds. I hope this clearly explains the case.

Names of the dataframe (df) and description

Year :- Year is calendar year, from 1980 to 2010

Country :- is the country name, total no. (levels) of countries is ~ 190

Commodity :- Crude oil, Sugar, Rubber, Coffee .... No. (levels) of
commodities is 20

Attribute: - Production, Consumption, Stock, Import, Export... Levels ~ 20

Unit :- this is actually not a factor. It describes the unit of Attribute.
Say the unit for Coffee (commodity) - Production (attribute) is 60 kgs.
While the unit for Crude oil - Production is 1000 barrels

Value :-  value

> tail(df, n = 10) // example data//

Year	Country		Commodity	Attribute	Unit
Value
1991	United Kingdom	Wheat, Durum	Total Supply	(1000 MT)	70
1991	United Kingdom	Wheat, Durum	TY Exports	(1000 MT)	0
1991	United Kingdom	Wheat, Durum	TY Imp. from U	(1000 MT)	0
1991	United Kingdom	Wheat, Durum	TY Imports	(1000 MT)	60
1991	United Kingdom	Wheat, Durum	Yield		(MT/HA)	5

Wish this is clear. Any suggestion

Regards,

SNVK