[R] RSQLite to input dataframe

Michael Bedward michael.bedward at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 12:32:53 CET 2011

Hi Amy,

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly so let me know if
the following is off track.

Starting with your example, here is how to create a data.frame and
write it to a new table in a new database file...

my.data = data.frame(X = c("US", "UK", "Canada", "Australia",
"Newzealand"), Y = c(52, 36, 74, 10, 98))

drv <- dbDriver("SQLite")
con <- dbConnect(drv, "myfilename.db")
dbWriteTable(con, "sometablename", my.data)

To verify that the table is now in the file...

dbListTables(con)

To check the fields in the table (should match the colnames in your
data.frame)...

dbListFields(con, "sometablename")

To read the whole table into the workspace as a new data.frame

my.data.copy <- dbReadTable(con, "sometablename")

If you have data in a CSV file, and the contents are small enough to
read in one go, you would use the read.csv function to read the
contents of the file into a data.frame and then use dbWriteTable to
transfer this to your database.

Hope this helps,

Michael