[R] lasso/lars error

F1Tim Timmie.Smet at econ.kuleuven.be
Tue Jan 4 14:00:55 CET 2011

I'm having the same error too, but it's very rare though... (especially when
using datasets with many variables, say 25). A somewhat odd, but seemingly
effective, way to solve this, is by writing try(lars(x,y),silent = T). The
try-command in this shape will not generate an error on the console and
therefore, any running programs are not aborted. When there is no error, you
simply get the LARS object. When there is an error, you get a character
string (can be checked by 'is.character()'). I suggest to perturb the data a
little to get it to work...

Best Regards,

Timmie Smet

B.A.P. Operations Research and Business Statistics
University of Leuven, Belgium