[R] lattice: par.settings with standard.theme() + additional arguments?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Jan 4 17:37:24 CET 2011

On Jan 4, 2011, at 11:08 AM, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2011, at 8:39 AM, Marius Hofert wrote:
>
>> Dear David,
>>
>> this I already tried. But as you can see, the plot itself *is*
>> colored. However, I want to have color = FALSE, so, unfortunately,
>> this approach does not work...
>
> Quite right. I didn't see that until you pointed it out. I had many
> failed attempts at a solution and then searched for prior positngs
> using par.settings and standard.theme and found one by Ehlers
> earlier this year that seems to work when modified to your ends:
>
> xyplot(x ~ 1:10, type = "l", par.settings =
> modifyList(standard.theme(color = FALSE),
>      list(par.xlab.text = list(cex = 5) )))
>
> I had tried various constructions that I thought would be
> equivalent, but I think I was getting the levels of the list
> structure wrong. This also works:
### NO,  it doesn't. I failed to notice that the command was
incomplete so was looking at my prior plot.

> xyplot(x ~ 1:10, type = "l", par.setting=c(list(par.xlab.text =
> list(cex = 5), standard.theme(color = FALSE))  )

Proving that I still do not really understand why the modifyList
approach works and what seemed to be equivalents do not. (Next
paragraph is wrong.)

> Notice the use of c() rather than list() to bind them together. When
> I looked at the output of standard.theme(color=FALSE), there was no
> par.xlab.text element so it seemed as though there should be no
> conflict and in fact there wasn't (except for the asynchrony between
> my brain and the R interpreter.)
>
> best;
> David.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Marius

>>> Add it as a list element:
>>>
>>> xyplot(x ~ 1:10, type = "l", par.settings =
>>> list(standard.theme(color = FALSE), par.xlab.text = list(cex = 5,