[R] RGtk2 compilation problem

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 6 17:53:41 CET 2011

You need RGtk2 2.20.7 which is now on CRAN.  Others have seen this,
but it has taken a while to track down the exact cause.

The diagnosis was that ML used a recent GNU tar which created a
tarball with hard links that R's untar was not prepared to deal with.
We consider that is a bug in GNU tar, but untar() has been updated in
R-patched to cope.

If you have such a tarball, try setting the environment variable
R_INSTALL_TAR to 'tar' (or whatever GNU tar is called on your system)
when installing the tarball.

For those packaging source packages: in the unusual event that your
package sources contains symbolic (or even hard) links, don't use GNU
tar 1.24 or 1.25.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk