[R] Solved : RE: problem installing R on ubuntu

Horace Tso Horace.Tso at pgn.com
Thu Jan 6 18:11:45 CET 2011

This question of mine is now solved, thanks to a suggestion by Homer Strong, the organizer of the R user group in Portland, Oregon.

The "unmet dependencies" as reported by install was caused by an incorrect entry in /etc/apt/sources.list. Previously I had

deb http://<my.favorite.cran.mirror>/bin/linux/ubuntu hardy/

It should say lucid,

deb http://<my.favorite.cran.mirror>/bin/linux/ubuntu lucid/

Once it's changed, the apt-get works without a glitch.

Thanks again to Homer.

Horace W Tso