[R] Problem with 2-ways ANOVA interactions

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Thu Jan 6 18:41:49 CET 2011

You really need to spend more time with a good aov textbook and probably a consultant that can explain things to you face to face.  But here is a basic explanation to get you pointed in the right direction:

Consider a simple 2x2 example with factors A and B each with 2 levels (1 and 2).  Draw a 2x2 grid to represent this, there are 4 groups and the theory would be that they have means mu11, mu12, mu21, and mu22 (mu12 is for the group with A at level 1 and B at level 2, etc.).

Now you fit the full model with 2 main effects and 1 interaction, if we assume treatment contrasts (the default in R, the coefficients/tests will be different for different contrasts, but the general idea is the same) then the intercept/mean/constant piece will correspond to mu11; the coefficient (only seen if treated as lm instead of aov object) for testing A will be (mu21-mu11) and for testing B will be (mu12-m11).

Now the interaction piece gets a bit more complex, it is (mu11 - mu12 - mu21 + mu22), this makes a bit more sense if we rearrange it to be one of ( (mu22-mu21) - (mu12-mu11) ) or ( (mu22-mu12) - (mu21-mu11) );  it represents the difference in the differences, i.e. we find how much going from A1 to A2 changes things when B is 1, then we find how much going from A1 to A2 changes things when B is 2, then we find the difference in these changes, that is the interaction (and if it is 0, then the effects of A and B are additive and independent, i.e. the amount A changes things does not depend on the value of B and vis versa).

So testing the interaction term is asking if how much a change in A affects things depends on the value of B.

This is very different from comparing mu11 to mu12 (or mu21 to mu22) which is what I think you did in the t-test, it is asking a very different question and using different base assumptions (ignoring any effect of B, additional data, etc.).  Note that your test on condition is very significant, this would be more similar to your t-test, but still not match exactly because of the differences.

Now your case is more complicated since stimulus has 7 levels (6 df), so the interaction is a combination of 6 different differences of differences, which is why you need to spend some time in a good textbook/class to really understand what model(s) you are fitting.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org