[R] need help for chi-squared test

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Jan 6 20:24:27 CET 2011

On Jan 6, 2011, at 1:23 PM, kiotoqq wrote:

> I've got a dataset which looks like this in the beginning:
>

>     cbr  dust smoking expo
> 1      0  0.20       1    5
> 2      0  0.25       1    4
> 3      0  0.25       1    8
> 4      0  0.25       1    4
> 5      0  0.25       1    4
>
> (till no. 1240, anyway, a huge set)
>
> I have to analyse cbr and smoking, I know it works with chisq.test()
> for the
> whole set, but I only need cbr and smoking, and I have no idea how to
> extract them.

This is not a sufficiently complex example on which to offer a
solution, nor is it even clear enough to understand definitively what
you want. So here is a guess:

dfrm[which(dfrm$cbr==1 & dfrm$smoking==1), ]

... which would return a dataframe (or matrix depending on what form
that data exists in) with only those cases where thos two conditions
hold. You can either assign this value to an R object or you can apply
the chisq.test() in what ever (unstated) manner you think has been
"working" to the returned value as a whole.

Please read the message at the bottom and follow its encouragement to
read the Posting Guide.