[R] R not recognized in command line

Erik Gregory egregory2007 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 7 04:00:58 CET 2011

Aaditya,
I was also having some trouble using RPy2 (spoiler alert: I gave up!) to write a
GUI for some R scripts I've written.  I found a workaround to integrate R and
python without using that module.  The idea is:
1. Write R scripts you want to use in python.  I have a file with all of the
functions I'll need to use.
2. Write python code that writes R code (according to whatever inputs you
want...) calling the functions in your script.  For example, if the R function I
wanted to use was "sum", I'd have users input two numbers in python, and have
python create the string "sum(867, 5309)"
3. Open the file with the Rscript using python, and add "sum(867, 5309)" to the
end of it.
4. Create the string t = "cd C:\Program Files\R\R-2.11.0\bin&Rscript sum.r" in
python, where "sum.r" is a file with the "sum" function, to which we added the
string "sum(867, 5309)" using python and "C:\...\bin" is whatever directory your
R installation is in.
5. Finally, open the shell as a subprocess using python and send "t" to the
shell.

This method works if you don't need to see the output of the R script in the
python console.  If you really want to see that, have R write the output into
some file that python can open and open that with python script!  I did all this
without any experience with python (I'm alright with R), so you may even find
some shortcuts.

Good Luck,
Erik Gregory,
Student Assistant, California EPA