[R] problems with rJava

karamoo kara.mooreoleary at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 03:04:34 CET 2011

Hi All, and Heberto,

Did you ever resolve your installation problem with rJava?

I have a new windows 7 machine and can't seem to get it installed correctly.
I do have Java installed.  I download rJava without proble, then:

> install.packages("rJava")
Installing package(s) into ‘C:\Users\Patrick\Documents/R/win-library/2.12’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
trying URL
'http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.12/rJava_0.8-8.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 637125 bytes (622 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 622 Kb

The downloaded packages are in
        C:\Users\Patrick\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmp9zcM7g\downloaded_packages

Looks like it downloaded fine to my eyes. But in the next step I get an
error:

> library(rJava)
Error in utils::readRegistry(key, "HLM", 2) :
  Registry key 'Software\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment' not found
Error in utils::readRegistry(key, "HLM", 2) :
  Registry key 'Software\JavaSoft\Java Development Kit' not found
Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'rJava', details:
  call: fun(...)
  error: JAVA_HOME cannot be found from the Registry
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'rJava'

I'm not sure how to check where R is looking for rJava vs where it lives,
this seems to be an issue in other posts, although they have different
errors.

I'm a novice still at R. I see a lot of posts on this topic, but few are
recent.  Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Kara Moore
Evolution and Ecology
University of California, Davis, USA