[R] Waaaayy off topic...Statistical methods, pub bias, scientific validity

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 7 13:08:12 CET 2011

> Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 23:06:44 -0800
> From: peter.langfelder at gmail.com
> To: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: Re: [R] Waaaayy off topic...Statistical methods, pub bias, scientific validity
>
> >From a purely statistical and maybe somewhat naive point of view,
> published p-values should be corrected for the multiple testing that
> is effectively happening because of the large number of published
> studies. My experience is also that people will often try several
> statistical methods to get the most significant p-value but neglect to
> share that fact with the audience and/or at least attempt to correct
> the p-values for the selection bias.

You see this everywhere in one form or another from medical to financial
modelling. My solution here is simply to publish more raw data in a computer
readable form, in this case of course something easy to get with R,
so disinterested or adversarial parties can run their own "analysis."
I think there was also a push to create a data base for failed drug
trials that may contain data of some value later. The value of R with
easily available data for a large cross section of users could be to moderate
problems like the one cited here.

I almost
slammed a poster here earlier who wanted a simple rule for "when do I use
this test" with something like " when your mom tells you to" since post
hoc you do just about everything to assume you messed up and missed something
but a priori you hope you have designed a good hypothesis. And at the end of
the day, a given p-value is one piece of evidence in the overall objective
of learning about some system, not appeasing a sponsor. Personally I'm a big
fan of post hoc analysis on biotech data in some cases, especially as more pathway or other theory
is published, but it is easy to become deluded if you have a conclusion that you
know JUST HAS TO BE RIGHT.

Also FWIW, in the few cases I've examined with FDA-sponsor rhetoric, the
data I've been able to get tends to make me side with the FDA and I still hate the
idea of any regulation or access restrictions but it seems to be the only way
to keep sponsors honest to any extent. Your mileage
may vary however, take a look at some rather loud disagreement with FDA
over earlier DNDN panel results, possibly involving threats against critics. LOL.