[R] Problems with glht function for lme object

anord andreas.nord at zooekol.lu.se
Fri Jan 7 14:28:26 CET 2011

Dear all,

I'm trying to make multiple comparisons for an lme-object. The data is for
an experiment on parental work load in birds, in which adults at different
sites were induced to work at one of three levels ('treat'; H, M, L). The
response is 'feedings', which is a quantitative measure of nest provisioning
per parent per chick per hour. Site is included as a random effect (one
male/female pair per site).

My final model takes the following form:
feedings ~ treat + year + data^2, random = ~1|site,data=feed.df

For this model, I would like to do multiple comparisons on 'treat', using
the multcomp package:
summary(glht(m4.feed,linfct=mcp(treat="Tukey")))

However, this does not work, and I get the below error message.

Error in if (is.null(pkg) | pkg == "nlme") terms(formula(x)) else slot(x,  :
  argument is of length zero
Error in factor_contrasts(model) :
  no ‘model.matrix’ method for ‘model’ found!

I suspect this might have quite a straightforward solution, but I'm stuck at
this point.
Any help would be most appreciated. Sample data below.

Kind regards,
Andreas Nord
Sweden

==============
feedings     sex site  treat year  date^2
1.8877888   M  838     H 2009      81
1.9102787   M  247     H 2009      81
1.4647229   M  674     H 2010      121
1.4160590   M 7009     M 2009      144