[R] Assumptions for ANOVA: the right way to check the normality

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Fri Jan 7 19:34:05 CET 2011

A lot of this depends on what question you are really trying to answer.  For one way anova replacing y-values with their ranks essentially transforms the distribution to uniform (under the null) and the Central Limit Theorem kicks in for the uniform with samples larger than about 5, so the normal approximations are pretty good and the theory works, but what are you actually testing?  The most meaningful null that is being tested is that all data come from the exact same distribution.  So what does it mean when you reject that null?  It means that all the groups are not representing the same distribution, but is that because the means differ? Or the variances? Or the shapes? It can be any of those.  Some point out that if you make certain assumptions such as symmetry or shifts of the same distributions, then you can talk about differences in means or medians, but usually if I am using non-parametrics it is because I don't believe that things are symmetric and the shift idea doesn't fit in my mind.

Some alternatives include bootstrapping or permutation tests, or just transforming the data to get something closer to normal.

Now what does replacing by ranks do in 2-way anova where we want to test the difference in one factor without making assumptions about whether the other factor has an effect or not?  I'm not sure on this one.

I have seen regression on ranks, it basically tests for some level of relationship, but regression is usually used for some type of prediction and predicting from a rank-rank regression does not seem meaningful to me.

Fitting the regression model does not require normality, it is the tests on the coefficients and confidence and prediction intervals that assume normality (again the CLT helps for large samples (but not for prediction intervals)).  Bootstrapping is an option for regression without assuming normality, transformations can also help.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org